guydoingmusic

This voting system is by far skewed. I don't care about my pictures winning POD or what not, but I don't even see the point in your voting system. For instance: Yesterdays voting included a pic with an average score of 9.5 and 11 votes. This guy's pic had at least six Perfect 10 ratings. He lost to another pic with only one Perfect 10 vote because he had a total of thirteen votes. Twelve of which were a 9 rating bringing the average for that photo to 9.1.

You seriously need to reconsider your flawed voting system to make it fair for others who want a chance to get the POD. Again... I personally do not care about winning(or not). So please don't take this as me being a "whiny baby" or "sore loser". I've just never seen a system where people score higher and lose.

Randall.Lohr

I couldn't agree more. there has to be a better way to weigh the balance of the scores. clearly someone who gets ten perfect tens should win over someone who has 5 tens and 7 nines... the resulting scores should weigh the judgement more than the total number of votes. Clearly someone who is just starting out has almost no chance of winning with an excellent pic over someone who has developed the relationships, followers and political acumen to know who to give higher scores to or to ignore great pics just to keep someone from winning. I think Photos should be posted anonymously to avoid the political aspects interfering with the voting process. with no names to consider, all pics are weighted on their merits only, and the creator is named only after the day is completed.

paul_mack

I am in total agreement on this subject.I have noticed it is all about politics and not high scores,well that is what seems to be going on.My last effort weighed in at 14 perfect scores and I never got to smell the roses.Well win some lose some...I never joined this sight to get POD and really just enjoy sharing knowledge and artwork :-)

-banned-user-

This has been discussed here on several different occasions always with the same outcomes. The agreement that the ratings are inflated but continues none the less. This is one of the reasons why I don't recommend this website to my students.

pandarino

I am in agreement with what is written by Randall and Paul Mack, the mathematical formula used is not quite so perfect. I very much support the secret ballot because the vote is often not a free vote to be expressed. Often votes with a high mark to avoid criticism and make a vow exchange, and this is not correct. I hope Charles reads this forum and can make some corrections possible. thanks

rrr

All images should be anonymous until the day after they are posted,as Randall suggests. The scoring system should also be 1 to 20 this gives more lee way with the awarding of a score for each image. Personally posting on this site gives me the reason to go out and take images which I havent done for several years, having at first lost interest when film cameras started to be phased out to be replaced with digital, (which by the way I still think is an inferior format compared to film for black and white images, though I know this will offend and perhaps cause howls of indignation:) Nevertheless I am enjoying playing with my new toy and software, and only just really gettiing used to it and also enjoy the opinions and images of others more expert than myself who frequent this site, but something should be done. Perhaps no voting at all, just comments, except for the image which you think should be photo of the day and which could be register4ed by simply placing a tick in a box at the side of an image, the picture with the most ticks wins for that day, not perfect, but just an idea. This system would also stop revenge voting, and then people could get down to giving advice about where a picture is going wrong rather than ripping it to pieces.

inkslinger

Firstly I would like to say that I am not as experienced as most members on HDR techniques…..BUT….I have noticed every day that votes on most photos’ are getting 8, 9, & 10’s when they are not basically correct. Now we all make mistakes & I have viewed several images on this site that at 1st viewing, I think that’s really nice = 9/10. I now look several times during the course of several hrs to assess/review my vote (on Paper). If I find several photo’s that I feel are POD then I will revisit those alone…. & decide which gets my vote….
Looking back on the history of HDRcreme some of the votes were 2, 3 or 4. Now members complain if they get a 7. We all can’t capture photos in an ideal light with perfect sky etc. We all can though ensure our photo’s have not got any basic faults i.e. Chromatic Aberrations/Fringing, Focus, POV + technical issues such as halo’s etc.
Also it’s not how we the voters see the photo; it is what we see technically within the photo. The member posting the photo know his/her restrictions on the day, who are we to say, oh, 2 steps back or to the left would be better……they could be in serious trouble if they had done that…..However we could be more constructive in the process of Hdr.
I have seen the same sky etc in at least 5/6 photos’ & they were getting 9/10’s. Since letting that member know they have not re-posted the same sky….
I don’t wish to offend anyone on HDRcreme, so I apologise in advance, I am just speaking my mind…

terrace_dr

The scoring on this site is ridiculous! I agree with Randal.Lorh and what he suggested.
Why one person who has a total rating of 9.5 with 13 voters gets POD and another who has a perfect rating of 10.0 with 13 voters gets
shoved aside is the stupidest voting technique I have ever seen. (Even in a Presidential election year)

-banned-user-

While, this site professes to be “The reference website for HDR photography” the truth is that is really an nothing more than online equivalent of a local photography club where you go to praise each other’s work (regardless of quality or execution of the craft) and then go have beer.

Let’s face it, those who post to this site don’t seek improvement – they only seek to have their ego stroked and fuel their Walter Mitty fantasies that they are great photographers. To give something other than a 9 or 10 and offer honest critique is sacrilege and you will soon be ignored or most likely attacked for your comments.

Look at the number of posts to this web site in the forums -- only 1,115 posts? This is an indication that dialogue and thus improvement is not important here. Also, how is the PoD chosen? There is nothing listed anywhere on this site about the metrics or criteria on how it’s chosen. My suspicion is that Carlo simply picks the one he likes best and awards the PoD. Regardless of how it’s chosen some transparency would be beneficial here.

bjosted

I try my very best to be objectiv when I make my votes.The person who have postet the image dont affect my vote at all.A good post deserves a good vote. But I am a bit confused about some votes on images with obvius errors gets a 9/10. I also think that a single RAW shot have to bee incredible good to get a 10. Single RAW shot,is NOT HDR, and can never bee. Some of the singles are very good photos ,but thats all. You cant invent somthing from nothing.But as it is said many times,if I give someone a 7/8 there is a lot of noise gooing on imediatly,I can feel the atmosphere at once. And that is a pity,because, the posters gets nothing back to improve their photograph skills,and that is what its all about, or what.............

-banned-user-

@bjosted. All very good points -- the question is will the voters actually start providing a honest, serious and useful critique of the photo's posted here. I seriously doubt it since this site is really about feeling good an not improving one's craft or skill. The lack of critique is why I don't recommend this website to my students.

bjosted

@spiritofweston,there is so many amazingly good images on this site,and there is some honest voters to.I simply love photo and HDR,soo my hope is that we all on this site thake time to vote seriusly and honest.

rrr

Randall is quite correct. All images posted should be annonymous for twenty four hours, this would stop two things that happen regularly. The first is that people vote down other images regardless of how good they are to promote their own, and secondly it would stop this ridiculous idea of you voted for me so I will vote for you scenario which is all too apparent on this site. Having too vote on images that you have no idea who has posted would make the system at a stroke much more fair and must be easy too do, we would then get real critiques.

cloudberry

The Voting system here is a Joke and full of manipulation, including the formula, including votes and comments that actually disappear if the moderator does not like them, even when no profanity just straight truth, people allowed to vote with minimal uploads themselves and the people that never vote for others, the list goes on & on. That being said there are some great photo's here, but the integrity of this site really sucks the way it is. This place has promise & I enjoy the photos and posting mine but imo there are way better HDR sites and forums out there. I fully expect this comment to be deleted ;).

sherz

Its a popularity contest where the voting scale in practice ranges from 8-10. Honest opinion is often unwelcome and 'punishment' is inevitable if you dare give an honest score less than an 8.